After Fire Services - Salem, Oregon.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls.
- Don’t attempt to clean carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting a professional restoration service.
- Do place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpet and upholstered furniture to limit the potential for further damage.
- Do limit the movement in the house to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Do keep hands clean. Soot on hands can impregnate upholstery, walls, and woodwork, causing more damage.
- If electricity is off, do empty the freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open. This prevents the food from leaving odors in the appliance.
- Do clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances with a light coating of lubricant.
- Don’t operate any electrical appliances or equipment until they have been cleaned and checked. Smoke residues can be conductive.
- Don’t send clothing with smoke residues to dry cleaners not experienced in cleaning fire-damaged garments. Inexperienced efforts may result in setting residues or odors.
- Do wash plants on both sides of leaves with water.
- If the HVAC system was operating during the fire, do change the furnace filter and tape folded pieces of cheesecloth over air registers.
Also, you should not use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat, or water. Cosmetics or medications may have been contaminated and should not be used.
Call SERVPRO of Salem West for all fire related questions or concerns. (503)393-9999.